Dance Gallery Foundation
INTERNSHIP PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
Dance Gallery Studio and Peter Sparling Dance Company provide internships to individuals seeking a career in dance performance, education, theater arts, arts management or for those who just want to learn more about operating a non-profit dance studio, company and foundation. These hands on intern programs are designed to meet the needs of the individual, require between 20 - 40 hours each week (depending on applicant's schedule and the organization's needs), and can be applied toward undergraduate or graduate college credit.
While internships are unpaid positions DGF is able to offer free classes in modern, ballet, Pilates, Yoga and more, admission to events and performances, and an opportunity to work "behind the scenes" with our Artist Director, Executive Director and Staff to create a meaningful learning experience.
Dance Gallery Foundation, founded in 1984, is the umbrella 501 c 3 organization which supports the Peter Sparling Dance Company, a professional contemporary dance company, and Dance Gallery Studio, a center for dance in Ann Arbor. The mission of Dance Gallery Foundation is to produce, promote, and develop contemporary dance performances, and provide dance training and educational experiences of the highest artistic quality.
Based upon the skills and interests of the applicant DGF offers internships in the following areas:
- Dance Gallery Foundation - fundraising, event planning, grant writing, public relations, marketing and more.
- Dance Gallery Studio - desk reception, class check in, data entry, customer relations, student recruitment, assistant teaching of youth classes, studio event planning, ticket sales and more.
- Peter Sparling Dance Company - assist the Artistic Director with rehearsals, scheduling, costume care, props, company-presenter relations, ticket sales, booking research, technical assistance, stage management, lighting and more.
Internship Applicants must:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Posses a strong desire to learn about dance education, performance, studio management and the special challenges related to running a successful non-profit organization.
- Be experienced with basic MS Office programs, have good writing skills, and have the ability to work effectively with the public.
- Be a responsible worker - punctual, reliable, have good follow through skills and be willing to take direction and initiative.
How to apply:
Please submit the following:
- Completed Internship Application Form
- Cover letter discussing your interests, dance background (if any), goals, desired outcomes and relevant experience
- Resume - include previous work experience, reference to computer skills and relevant course work
- Two Letters of Reference
- Two Contrasting Writing Samples - not more than 3 pages
Send the completed application to:
Dance Gallery Foundation
815 Wildt Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
Click here for Internship Application:
*You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print this file.
If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed click here: